Abbott Regulatory Project Manager (BUS/PM/MGR/1033) in Santa Clara, California
At Abbott, we're committed to helping you live your best possible life through the power of health. For more than 125 years, we've brought new products and technologies to the world -- in nutrition, diagnostics, medical devices and branded generic pharmaceuticals -- that create more possibilities for more people at all stages of life. Today, 94,000 of us are working to help people live not just longer, but better, in the more than 150 countries we serve. Please note that candidates need to be eligible to work in the U.S. without Abbott sponsorship.
Primary Job Function:
As an individual contributor, the function of a Regulatory Affairs Project Manager is to combine knowledge of scientific, regulatory and business issues to enable products that are developed, manufactured or distributed to meet required legislation. The individual has department/group/site level influence and is generally recognized as an expert and resource within the department. The individual may share knowledge and expertise with others in support of team activities. The individual may identify data needed, obtain these data and ensure that they are effectively presented for the registration of products worldwide.
Core Job Responsibilities:
Responsible for compliance with applicable Corporate and Divisional Policies and procedures.
Core job responsibilities for this function may include:
· Develop new regulatory policies, processes and SOPs and train key personnel on them
· Evaluate regulatory risks of division policies, processes, procedures
· Provide regulatory input to product lifecycle planning
· Monitor regulatory outcomes of initial product concepts and provide input to senior regulatory management
· Assist in the development of multicountry regulatory strategy and update strategy based upon regulatory changes
· Assist in regulatory due diligence for potential and new acquisitions
· Utilize technical regulatory skills to propose strategies on complex issues
· Determine submission and approval requirements
· Identify emerging issues
· Monitor trade association positions for impact on company products
· Anticipate regulatory obstacles and emerging issues throughout the product lifecycle and develop solutions with other members of regulatory and related teams
· Recruit, develop and mentor regulatory professionals
· Assess the acceptability of quality, preclinical and clinical documentation for submission filing
· Evaluate risk of and regulatory solutions to product and clinical safety issues during clinical phases and recommend solutions
· Compile, prepare, review and submit regulatory submission to authorities
· Monitor impact of changing regulations on submission strategies and update internal stakeholders
· Monitor applications under regulatory review
· Communicate application progress to internal stakeholders
· Monitor and submit applicable reports and ensure appropriate responses are submitted to regulatory authorities
· Evaluate proposed preclinical, clinical and manufacturing changes for regulatory filing strategies
· Negotiate and interact with regulatory authorities during the development and review process to ensure submission approval
· Provide strategic input and technical guidance on regulatory requirements to development teams
· Manage and execute preapproval compliance activities
· Oversee processes involved with maintaining annual licenses, registrations, listings and patent information
· Ensure compliance with product post marketing approval requirements
· Review and approve advertising and promotional items to ensure regulatory compliance
· Ensure external communications meet regulations
· Develop, implement and manage appropriate SOPs and systems to track and manage product-associated events
· Actively contribute to the development and functioning of the crisis/issue management program
· Oversee system to ensure that product safety issues and product-associated events are reported to regulatory agencies
· Report adverse events to regulatory agencies and internal stakeholders
· Provide regulatory input for product recalls and recall communications
Job specific responsibilities may include (choose applicable areas and expand as appropriate);
· Medical writing
· Advertising and promotion
· Controlled substances (e.g. DEA)
· Restricted substances (e.g. REACH)
· Compendial / standards
· Import / export
· Country specific regulatory support
Supervisory / Management Responsibilities:
Individual provides leadership without direct authority (i.e., project leader). Individual may provide direction and guidance to exempt and non-exempt personnel who exercise significant latitude and independence in their assignments. Also may mentor other department members.
Position Accountability / Scope:
Individuals execute and manage technical and scientific regulatory activities. Must function independently as a decision-maker on regulatory issues, and must assure that deadlines are met. Effectively communicate, prepare, and negotiate both internally and externally with various regulatory agencies. Properly interpret and apply regulatory requirements. Work is performed without appreciable direction and exercises some latitude in determining technical objectives of assignments. Completed work is reviewed from a relatively long- term perspective for desired results. Individual is recognized as a discipline expert and resource in regulatory affairs.
· Develops, communicates, and builds consensus for operating goals that are in alignment with the division.
· Provides leadership by communicating and providing guidance towards achieving department objectives.
· Interfaces with a variety of management levels on significant matters, often requiring the coordination of activity across organizational units.
· May lead a cross-functional or cross-divisional project team.
· Provides technical leadership to business units.
· Acts as a mentor to less-experienced staff.
· Exercises judgment independently.
· Creates immediate to long-range plans to carry out objectives established by top management.
· Forecasts project related needs including human and material resources and capital expenditures.
· Assignments are expressed in the form of objectives
· Makes decisions regarding work processes or operational plans and schedules in order to achieve the program objectives established by senior management.
· Consequences of erroneous decisions or recommendations would normally include critical delays and modifications to projects or operations with substantial expenditure of time, human resources, and funds, and may jeopardize future business activity.
Bachelor's degree (or equivalent); Bachelor's degree in science (biology, chemistry, microbiology, immunology, medical technology, pharmacy, pharmacology), math, engineering, or medical fields is preferred. M.S. in a technical area or M.B.A. is preferred. A Ph.D. in a technical area or law is helpful. Certification is a plus (such as RAC from the Regulatory Affairs Professionals Society.)
Minimum Experience / Training Required:
4-5 years experience in a regulated industry (e.g., medical products, nutritionals). 2-5 years of experience in regulatory preferred but may consider quality assurance, research and development/support, scientific affairs, operations, or related area.
Note: Higher education may compensate for years of experience.
Background / Skills / Knowledge
Regulatory Knowledge of (as applicable):
· Regulatory history, guidelines, policies, standards, practices, requirements and precedents
· Regulatory agency structure, processes and key personnel
· Principles and requirements of applicable product laws
· Submission/registration types and requirements
· GxPs (GCPs, GLPs, GMPs)
· Principles and requirements of promotion, advertising and labeling
· International treaties and regional, national, local and territorial trade requirements, agreements and considerations
· Domestic and international regulatory guidelines, policies and regulations
· Ethical guidelines of the regulatory profession, clinical research and regulatory process
· Lead functional groups in the development of relevant data to complete a regulatory submission
Communication Skills or Ability to:
· Communicate effectively verbally and in writing
· Communicate with diverse audiences and personnel
· Write and edit technical documents
· Work with cross-functional teams
· Work with people from various disciplines and cultures
· Write and edit technical documents
· Negotiate internally and externally with regulatory agencies
· Plan and conduct meetings
Cognitive Skills or Ability to:
· Strong attention to detail
· Manage projects
· Create project plans and timelines
· Must be able to juggle multiple and competing priorities
· Think analytically with good problem solving skills
· Organize and track complex information
· Exercises judgment within broadly defined practices and policies in selecting methods, techniques and evaluation criteria for obtaining results
· Has broad knowledge of various technical alternatives and their potential impact on the business
· Exercises good and ethical judgment within policy and regulations
· Uses in-depth knowledge of business functions and cross group dependencies/ relationships
· Possesses ability to define regulatory strategy
· Able to follow scientific arguments, identify regulatory scientific data needs and solve regulatory issues
· Perform risk assessment or analysis
United States > Santa Clara : Building B - SC Floor-2
Yes, 15 % of the Time
SIGNIFICANT WORK ACTIVITIES:
Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day), Keyboard use (greater or equal to 50% of the workday)
Abbott is an Equal Opportunity Employer of Minorities/Women/Individuals with Disabilities/Protected Veterans.
EEO is the Law link - English: http://webstorage.abbott.com/common/External/EEO_English.pdf
EEO is the Law link - Espanol: http://webstorage.abbott.com/common/External/EEO_Spanish.pdf
Abbott is about the power of health. For more than 125 years, Abbott has been helping people reach their potential — because better health allows people and communities to achieve more. With a diverse, global network serving customers in more than 150 countries, we create new solutions — across the spectrum of health, around the world, for all stages of life. Whether it’s next-generation diagnostics, life-changing devices, science-based nutrition, or novel reformulations, we are advancing some of the most innovative and revolutionary technologies in healthcare, helping people live their best lives through better health.
The people of Abbott come to work each day with relentless energy, enthusiasm and a promise to enhance the health and well-being of millions of people. They push the boundaries to help manage and treat some of life’s greatest health challenges.
We invite you to explore opportunities at Abbott , to see if your talents and career aspirations may fit with our openings. An equal opportunity employer, Abbott welcomes and encourages diversity in our workforce.
Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/AbbottCareers
LinkedIn at https://www.linkedin.com/company/abbott-
YouTube at https://www.youtube.com/c/abbott
Twitter at https://twitter.com/AbbottNews