Abbott Senior Scientist in Sylmar, California
At Abbott, we're committed to helping you live your best possible life through the power of health. For more than 125 years, we've brought new products and technologies to the world -- in nutrition, diagnostics, medical devices and branded generic pharmaceuticals -- that create more possibilities for more people at all stages of life. Today, 94,000 of us are working to help people live not just longer, but better, in the more than 150 countries we serve. Please note that candidates need to be eligible to work in the U.S. without Abbott sponsorship.
The Research Information Scientist develops and maintains effective relationships with customers by understanding their information needs for timely delivery of cost-effective, accurate information.
* Consults with broad range of business and technical clients to define information needs and develop appropriate information strategies applicable to the problems presented.
* Conducts accurate, comprehensive, cost-effective manual, online database and Internet searches of the business, medical, scientific, technical and patent literature to identify published information pertinent to clients’ needs.
* Analyzes search results to select and provide information relevant to clients’ problems; prepares a report of search results for the client.
* Recommends additional information strategies and products to supplement the literature search in response to clients’ needs; assists clients in obtaining access to other information services offered by the department, or other corporate sources, or commercial vendors.
* Maintains a high level of knowledge of information resources through independent study, formal training and actual usage, especially for the many accessible commercial databases; demonstrates a sophisticated level of computer literacy in both personal and mainframe computer systems for application to information research; sustains the necessary level of technical/scientific expertise to communicate effectively with clients.
* Provides leadership, guidance, and training to junior information scientists in the use of computers, databases and information and information resources; trains and supports clients who wish to perform their own literature searches.
* Actively seeks to improve job and knowledge by staying current with the best practices within the field.
* Participates in the development of new information services to be provided by the department.
Literature Search Process 60%.
Works well under pressure, demonstrating the ability to prioritize multiple requests.
Applies appropriate expertise from both practice experience and formal training in order to provide clients with comprehensive information.
Conducts current awareness searches to provide business, legal and scientific teams with latest news in a fast-paced business and scientific environment.
Contributes valued added content streams to both client and library portal projects.
Analyzes search results to select the most relevant information.
Prepares succinct report for the client which summaries key results.
Serves as mentor and coach to members of Information Research team.
Inspires results by providing effective feedback and guidance.
Influences external vendors and suppliers to develop improved products or new services.
Study In Support of Evolving Databases, Information Tools & Scientific Discoveries 10% * Exhibits leading edge knowledge of electronic tools and automation systems supporting Library Information Resources functions.
Continuously redefines Information Research to anticipate trends in the field and changes in the profession.
Provides fresh new insights and perspectives.
Contributes to professional organizations.
Influences external vendors and suppliers to develop improved products or new services.
Collaboration with Peers and Scientists in Support of Knowledge Collaboration 30%.
Cultivates strategic partnerships, understands client information needs, establishes rapport and nurtures open communication to facilitate development of client focused programs and initiatives.
Uses constructive techniques to secure project support and influence outcomes that are in the best interests of Abbott.
Collaborates with other information-related groups within Abbott to introduce information solutions.
Sets priorities consistent with LIR goals.
Leads in the development of the tools and resources required to support a learning organization.
Cultivates a knowledge based learning environment.
Promotes the use of library resources across the enterprise.
Reports to Knowledge Manager Internal: 1) Participates actively as a member of the Information Research team: 2) Leads specific project teams as appointed.
Full accountability for allocation of resources, delivery of goals. 3) Functions as mentor within Information Research group.
External: 1) Participates in specific therapeutic area, medical products, legal and/or project based teams as assigned by manager * Demonstrates by example how to create effective partnerships with clients.
Develops methods to become aligned with customer needs such as Service Level Agreements, focus groups, information audits and surveys. * Demonstrates alignment to LIR initiatives.
Develops overall functional plan towards achieving strategic outcomes.
Establishes best practices and operating standards. * Articulates the rationale surrounding LIR initiatives and priorities.
Inspires buy-in from others. * Mentors or aids others in developing skills.
Facilitates knowledge sharing.
Cultivates a learning environment and energizes others to seek growth opportunities. * Participates with team members in the creation of new ideas and processes. * Takes ownership of results, approaching work with a winning attitude. * Proactively educates others in understanding the strategic role of Information Resources.
Develops communication opportunities to strengthen LIR’s position as a Center of Excellence. * Demonstrates knowledge of Abbott’s key business areas and issues facing Abbott and the healthcare industry.
Designs programs accordingly in alignment with business goals and initiatives.
Bachelor’s Degree within a subject field relevant to Abbott’s business or scientific interests including chemistry, biology or engineering required, or relevant experience. Master’s Degree preferred, with course specialization in chemistry, biology, engineering, business or Information Science. Why Required? Scientific specialization is required to conduct in-depth research of intellectual property databases. Chemistry background is required for those patent searchers investigating chemical structures. Biology background is required for those patent searches investigating bio sequences, microbiology and biology based technologies. Position Titles or Description of Experience Years Ph.D. or M.S. with intensive subject expertise 3-4 B.S. with extensive industry experience in lab and patent searching 4-5 Total combined minimum years of experience required are subject to level of academic achievement and depth of subject knowledge in addition to experience within healthcare or related technology based industry 3-5
* Thinks strategically. Develops a strategic direction for LIR that supports and demonstrates alignment to Abbott’s business initiatives.
* Sets example of doing what is best for Abbott in all undertakings. Takes a cross- divisional, collaborative approach in developing patent search strategies, projects and services.
* Encourages and supports information sharing and collaboration across departments.
* Demonstrates ability to serve as project lead in gathering and analyzing relevant information, data and feedback in order to take appropriate action. As team leader, delivers results that are accurate, pertinent and business driven.
* Adopts analytical methods to convincingly support business cases and project proposals. Communicates findings in a clear and unbiased manner. Fosters fact based decision-making.
* Tests the validity of information and scrutinizes data for accuracy, relevance and completeness.
* Employs technology to create a virtual global library for Abbott employees worldwide. Understands integration of components required to optimize use of services. Technology focused on value added content for portals and content streams for project and business based requirements.
* Seeks ways to promote positive working partnerships. Committed to service excellence. Generates customer good will.
* Fosters an environment that encourages inclusion and respect for diverse opinions. Shows initiative in gaining cross-disciplinary perspectives.
Research and Discovery
ASJM Abbott St. Jude Medical
United States > California : 15900 Valley View Court
SIGNIFICANT WORK ACTIVITIES:
Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day)
Abbott is an Equal Opportunity Employer of Minorities/Women/Individuals with Disabilities/Protected Veterans.
EEO is the Law link - English: http://webstorage.abbott.com/common/External/EEO_English.pdf
EEO is the Law link - Espanol: http://webstorage.abbott.com/common/External/EEO_Spanish.pdf
Abbott is about the power of health. For more than 125 years, Abbott has been helping people reach their potential — because better health allows people and communities to achieve more. With a diverse, global network serving customers in more than 150 countries, we create new solutions — across the spectrum of health, around the world, for all stages of life. Whether it’s next-generation diagnostics, life-changing devices, science-based nutrition, or novel reformulations, we are advancing some of the most innovative and revolutionary technologies in healthcare, helping people live their best lives through better health.
The people of Abbott come to work each day with relentless energy, enthusiasm and a promise to enhance the health and well-being of millions of people. They push the boundaries to help manage and treat some of life’s greatest health challenges.
We invite you to explore opportunities at Abbott , to see if your talents and career aspirations may fit with our openings. An equal opportunity employer, Abbott welcomes and encourages diversity in our workforce.
Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/AbbottCareers
LinkedIn at https://www.linkedin.com/company/abbott-
YouTube at https://www.youtube.com/c/abbott
Twitter at https://twitter.com/AbbottNews