Abbott Principal Software Engineer/Architect in Lake Forest, Illinois
At Abbott, we're committed to helping people live their best possible life through the power of health. For more than 125 years, we've brought new products and technologies to the world -- in nutrition, diagnostics, medical devices and branded generic pharmaceuticals -- that create more possibilities for more people at all stages of life. Today, 99,000 of us are working to help people live not just longer, but better, in the more than 150 countries we serve.
This is a highly technical role with the candidate expected to serve as technical evangelist and critical contributor to building compelling informatics products within Abbott’s Diagnostics Division.
• The individual will participate the development of system and software architecture to support informatics development programs from concept through launch. She/he will also be responsible for supporting on-market products post-launch.
• The individual is participating in the architecture process, defining the vision and relevant cross-cutting concerns that drive software system architecture.
• The individual is responsible for identifying components, frameworks and best-in-class patterns for integration within the software products.
• The individual is responsible for creating work packages for engineers and ensuring application development conforms, and is consistent with the defined software architecture.
Core Job Responsibilities
• The individual will be responsible for analyzing customer needs (via use cases, requirements, or like) and identifying the required architectural facets.
• She/he will be instrumental in the advocacy, research, development and integration of best-in-class architecture and/ architecture components to build differentiated informatics solutions that support & grow the diagnostics business.
• She/he will be responsible for creating and maintaining documentation for the artifacts created during the SDLC.
• The individual will develop initial architecture specifications; build architecture artifacts and prototypes as necessary to identify risk and effort during development of applications that employ the architecture.
• The individual will participate in the development of frameworks and subsystems necessary to build high performance, scalable and secure applications.
• The individual will work with other members of the Architecture team to ensure continuous improvement and iterative evolution of the architecture.
• The individual must ensure their work is compliant with the ADD Informatics Quality system.
• The individual should conceive plans, execute and track their projects.
• The individual may travel occasionally per needs of the assigned project.
Position Accountability / Scope
• The individual is responsible for the design, development and commercialization of informatics products in compliance with internal policies and procedures, both US and Foreign regulatory standards and requirements.
• She/he is accountable for the architecture of one or more informatics products as assigned on individual programs.
• The individual is accountable for the successful implementation and support of software architecture on development projects and on-market products.
• She/he is accountable for the assessment of technical risks on informatics programs and on-market products.
• The individual work closely with software developers on the implementation of the architecture and applications that are deployed on the architecture.
• The individual must have prior experience operating in Scrum-based development teams.
• She/he will work with a broad range of technologists and support personnel both within and outside of Abbott.
• The individual applies systems thinking: Optimizes solutions from a system point of view by considering the effect of any change on other parts of the systems and supporting functions.; Defines parameters and boundaries for lower level design activities.
• The individual creates efficient protocols for validation of complex system functions and defines validation process;
• She/he exchanges information with appropriate frequency and within a time frame to maximize its utility and promote cross functional collaboration; verifies that information is understood by the recipient.
Bachelor’s degree in one or more following disciplines: Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Software Engineering, Decision Sciences, Symbolic Systems, Informatics, Mathematics, Physics or Information Systems. An advanced degree in one of the above disciplines is preferred. Minimum of 5 years of experience at a startup, mid- to large-sized corporation is required. The candidate must have experience in developing and launching unique software / informatics products in one of the following industries: healthcare, defense or telecommunications. The candidate must possess good oral and written communication skills. An advanced degree in one of the above disciplines is preferred.
• Minimum of 4-6 years of experience at a startup, mid- to large-sized corporation is required. The candidate must possess good oral and written communication skills.
• Prior experience developing or working with Cloud-based technologies such as Amazon Web Services (AWS), Microsoft Azure, OpenStack, Cloud Foundry or other is highly desired.
• The candidate must have advanced working knowledge in relational database technologies (PostgreSQL, MySQL, Oracle, SQL Server) and data modeling.
• The candidate must have advanced working knowledge in one of the following languages: Python, Java, C#, other.
• The candidate must have working knowledge in container and container management technologies (Docker, Kubernetes,, other).
An Equal Opportunity Employer
Abbot welcomes and encourages diversity in our workforce.
We provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities.
To request accommodation, please call 224-667-4913 or email email@example.com