Abbott Senior Specialist Environmental Health & Safety in Lake Forest, Illinois
At Abbott, we're committed to helping people live their best possible life through the power of health. For more than 125 years, we've brought new products and technologies to the world -- in nutrition, diagnostics, medical devices and branded generic pharmaceuticals -- that create more possibilities for more people at all stages of life. Today, 99,000 of us are working to help people live not just longer, but better, in the more than 150 countries we serve.
Leads and supports EHS management in the development, implementation and monitoring of programs and policies to ensure compliance with federal, state and local environmental, health and safety regulations. Facilitates the investigation and timely identification of incident root cause and corrective action and actively support injury prevention initiatives.
Monitors the workplace environment by analyzing work processes, materials, equipment and the work habits of employees and ensures appropriate corrective action is taken where hazards exists.
• Develops and oversees EHS training programs for employees in areas such as employee-right-to-know, hazardous material handling, laser safety, emergency response, industrial hygiene, and life safety.
• Plans and schedules work to meet deadlines established by others to ensure the completion of several related tasks.
• Works independently most of the time and uses judgment in data analysis to develop and design solutions to difficult health and safety problems.
• Performs traditional EHS duties such as job safety analyses, health and safety training, workplace incident investigations, workplace safety inspections and internal audits as directed.
• Supports EHS team in the management of all hazardous material and hazardous waste activities including the collection, transportation and disposal of all hazardous waste in compliance with all applicable regulations.
• Reviews new hazardous materials and checks incoming material for MSDS’s, unique usage and storage characteristics. Works with end user to ensure proper usage and disposal. Provides guidance as necessary.
• Serves as a resource to division management and EHS staff on matters relating to occupational health and safety, environmental compliance, fire protection and loss prevention.
• Supports the EHS Manager in the management of all hazardous material and hazardous waste activities including the collection, transportation and disposal of all hazardous waste in compliance with all applicable regulations.
• Reviews and maintains MSDS data system an inventory.
• Supports EHS management in conducting reviews for facility modification, new product development, product modification and new equipment/machinery as directed.
• Provides On call support for EHS emergencies.
• Supports ISO 14001 process and its maintenance.
• Responsible for assigned duties and tasks as defined by the EMS
• Supports EHS team and under the direction of manager, act as a liaison with appropriate regulatory agencies and may provide input to federal, state and local regulators through industry groups for the writing and revision of regulations.
• Works under the supervision of the Sr. EHS Manager, while independently working and solving day-to-day problems.
• Applies professional health and safety principles, theories and concepts and uses independent judgment to develop and design imaginative, thorough and practical solutions to difficult health and safety issues.
• Leads the management in the maintenance of the facility’s Emergency Response and Fire Plans.
• Coordinates employee exposure monitoring activities for chemical and physical agents, including performing Industrial Hygiene (IH) sampling and supporting the activities of contract Industrial Hygienists, chemical spill remediation specialists, and other safety consultants as required.
• Conducts and coordinates ergonomic risk assessments and making appropriate corrective action recommendations.
• Leads the selection, training and maintenance of all volunteer employee Safety Coordinators and Chemical Handlers.
• Coordinates the inspection and procurement of emergency response and disaster preparedness materials and equipment
• Supports EHS management in the gathering of data for the establishment of report metrics pertinent to EHS activities.
• Facilitates all CVD and AF Safety Committee meetings and ensure their ongoing operation and benefit.
• Support all Company initiatives as identified by management and in support of Quality Management Systems (QMS), Environmental Management Systems (EMS), and other regulatory requirements.
• Complies with U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) regulations, other regulatory requirements, Company policies, operating procedures, processes, and task assignments. Maintains positive and cooperative communications and collaboration with all levels of employees, customers, contractors, and vendors.
• Performs other related duties and responsibilities, on occasion, as assigned.
• B.S. Degree in Occupational Health and Safety or related field. Chemistry experience preferred.
Minimum of 5+ years’ experience in the Health and Safety field with both hands on and program management experience.
• Ability to navigate and interpret EHS regulations
• Expected to function with little direction and be able to independently drive complex projects to completion.
• Ability to successfully manage multiple projects and daily responsibilities.
• Experience working in a broader enterprise/cross-division business unit model preferred.
• Ability to work in a highly matrixed and geographically diverse business environment.
• Ability to work within a team and as an individual contributor in a fast-paced, changing environment.
• Ability to leverage and/or engage others to accomplish projects.
• Strong verbal and written communications with ability to effectively communicate at multiple levels in the organization.
• Multitasks, prioritizes and meets deadlines in timely manner.
• Strong organizational and follow-up skills, as well as attention to detail.
• Ability to travel, including internationally.
• Ability to maintain regular and predictable attendance.
An Equal Opportunity Employer
Abbot welcomes and encourages diversity in our workforce.
We provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities.
To request accommodation, please call 224-667-4913 or email firstname.lastname@example.org