Abbott Senior Staff R&D Engineer in Menlo Park, California
At Abbott, we're committed to helping people live their best possible life through the power of health. For more than 125 years, we've brought new products and technologies to the world -- in nutrition, diagnostics, medical devices and branded generic pharmaceuticals -- that create more possibilities for more people at all stages of life. Today, 99,000 of us are working to help people live not just longer, but better, in the more than 150 countries we serve.
Summary : Exciting new opportunity to join Abbott's fast growing Structural Heart division, home of the life-saving MitraClip medical device. The Staff R&D Engineer provides guidance for the design and development of company products, and works closely with product development team to establish product development goals while ensuring market compatibility.
• Works on the development of Abbott’s structural heart product portfolio including the next generation of transcatheter mitral and tricuspid valve repair and replacement product portfolio
• Formulates and implements research and development programs, policies, and procedures required to support profitable growth.
• Provides design/development teams with appropriate resources to perform assigned tasks.
• Interfaces with appropriate internal and external resources to ensure intellectual property is appropriately protected.
• Interfaces with appropriate internal and external resources (regulatory, customers, etc.) to ensure development programs meet regulatory and customer requirements.
• Provides technical assistance for diagnosing design and manufacturing quality problems.
• Guides development and documentation of test plan protocols, standard operating procedures, specifications and test procedures.
• Contributes to business unit and divisional strategy planning.
• Participates in review boards for intellectual property, CAPA, complaints, business unit planning, and others as necessary.
• Reviews and provides functional approval for project and quality system documentation.
• Develops and manages organizational plans and resources for the specific department and business units for which they are responsible.
• Provides mentorship and career development oversight for direct report employees.
• Tracks and forecasts divisional and product and technology projects
• Support all Company initiatives as identified by management and in support of Quality Management Systems (QMS), Environmental Management Systems (EMS), and other regulatory requirements.
• Complies with U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) regulations, other regulatory requirements, Company policies, operating procedures, processes, and task assignments. Maintains positive and cooperative communications and collaboration with all levels of employees, customers, contractors, and vendors.
• Performs other related duties and responsibilities, on occasion, as assigned.
• Four year degree in a technical field, preferably mechanical, chemical , biomedical, industrial, or quality engineering; materials science, biochemistry, chemistry, physics or management.
• Master’s degree in a technical or business field is preferred.
• Minimum of ten (10) years’ experience in medical device development and/or other highly regulated industry
• Strong experience in ultrasound imaging techniques and systems, particularly in Transthoracic Echocardiography (TTE), Transesophageal Echocardiography (TEE) and Intracardiac Echocardiography (ICE) imaging modalities
• Experience in medical image processing/analysis, and in the use of medical image processing software such as MIMICS
• Experience in micro-computed tomography (µCT) techniques and systems
• Experience working in a broader enterprise/cross-division business unit model preferred.
• Ability to work in a highly matrixed and geographically diverse business environment.
• Ability to work within a team and as an individual contributor in a fast-paced, changing environment.
• Ability to leverage and/or engage others to accomplish projects.
• Strong verbal and written communications with ability to effectively communicate at multiple levels in the organization.
• Multitasks, prioritizes and meets deadlines in timely manner.
• Strong organizational and follow-up skills, as well as attention to detail.
• Ability to travel approximately 25%, including internationally.
• Ability to maintain regular and predictable attendance.
An Equal Opportunity Employer
Abbot welcomes and encourages diversity in our workforce.
We provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities.
To request accommodation, please call 224-667-4913 or email firstname.lastname@example.org