Abbott Design / Product Development Engineer - Fixtures in Santa Clara, California
At Abbott, we're committed to helping people live their best possible life through the power of health. For more than 125 years, we've brought new products and technologies to the world -- in nutrition, diagnostics, medical devices and branded generic pharmaceuticals -- that create more possibilities for more people at all stages of life. Today, 99,000 of us are working to help people live not just longer, but better, in the more than 150 countries we serve.
The Product Development Engineer II will be supporting the development of the design and manufacture of sub-assemblies from an early phase concept through clinical readiness. This position will work with external vendors to effectively design, analyze and manufacture prototype components. This position will also import early stage processes from the vendor and improve on their reliability and manufacturability. This position is responsible for identifying and acquiring test equipment as well as developing test methods. This position requires strong communication, organizational and technical skills. The Product Development Engineer II under supervision will ensure that the sub-assembly design, materials, processes, and acceptance activities are properly documented. This position will participate in problem solving activities and developing intellectual property.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The duties and responsibilities for this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Coordinate the completion of the design, manufacture, and analysis activities with external vendors.
• Collaborate with internal and external sources to identify and obtain process and test equipment.
• Assist in the development of and improving processes to fabricate the sub-assemblies. Designs tools/ fixtures required to assist in device manufacturing.
• Creates Work Instruction documentation which describes manufacturing of the sub-assembly.
• Develop test methods to evaluate in process components and final sub-assembly
• Works with product development team to develop test plan and specifications. Participates in feasibility/ laboratory testing and performs failure analysis corrective action activities in order to determine design modification.
• Participates in cross functional activities (i.e. risk analysis, supplier development, CAPA).
• Creates intellectual property.
• Bachelors Degree Engineering (Mechanical or Biomed preferred) plus 2-5 years of design engineering experience (or equivalent combination of education and experience)
• Experience leading process/ design improvements in a Quality System Environment
• Experience with 3D modeling (SolidWorks, ProEngineer)
• Experience developing process and test methods. Experience with data acquisition software (MATLAB, LabView)
• Experience through all phases (from product conception through commercialization) as a member of medical device product development team
• Familiarity with statistical analysis concepts and tools, such as Design of Experiments, Six Sigma
• Experience with medical device standards (QSR, ISO)
• Proven ability to work independently to research and resolve technically issues
NO RELOCATION ASSISTANCE IS AVAILABLE FOR THIS POSITION.
THIS POSITION WILL REQUIRE UP TO 50% TRAVEL TO TEMECULA, CA.
OPEN TO CONSIDER AT LOWER LEVEL.
An Equal Opportunity Employer
Abbot welcomes and encourages diversity in our workforce.
We provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities.
To request accommodation, please call 224-667-4913 or email firstname.lastname@example.org