Abbott Principal Opto-Mechanical Engineer in Santa Clara, California
At Abbott, we're committed to helping people live their best possible life through the power of health. For more than 125 years, we've brought new products and technologies to the world -- in nutrition, diagnostics, medical devices and branded generic pharmaceuticals -- that create more possibilities for more people at all stages of life. Today, 99,000 of us are working to help people live not just longer, but better, in the more than 150 countries we serve.
Responsible for the development of mechanical and opto-mechanical components and systems in new products and for on market product improvements and issue resolution
Primary Job Function:
Responsible for the development of mechanical and opto-mechanical components and systems in new products and for on market product improvements and issue resolution. Reports to the Senior Manager, Mechanical Engineering/HW Engineering.
Core Job Responsibilities:
• Develops, designs, and evaluates opto-mechanical components, assemblies, associated processes and/or equipment.
• Expert domain knowledge in high-precision mechanical, and opto-mechanical engineering.
• Proven experience in which optics such as lenses, mirrors, and prisms are mounted into opto-mechanical mounts and integrated into optical instrumentation.
• Proven experience taking ideas from concept to production launch of medical opto-mechanical products.
• Proven experience with error budgeting: opto-mechanical tolerance stack up calculations, stress calculations, and related mechanical modeling.
• Contributes directly and influences the development of opto-mechanical requirements based on customer needs and systems-requirements
• Works independently with minimal day-to-day supervision.
• Proficient with Engineering design, control and analysis tools, such as Solidworks, Team Center, SBM, SAP, ANSYS, MATLAB, COSMOS etc.
• Thermal management and structural design experience at component and subsystem levels.
• Proficiency in technical management of suppliers. Excellent collaboration with internal and external suppliers and customers.
• Proficiency in technical project management—developing, documenting, and executing work streams in support of multiple projects. Works cross-functionally to provide technical support
• Proficient in communicating complex technical situations in an understandable way.
• Flexibility where changes in the business environment dictate changes in direction as we develop new technical solutions.
• Positive attitude and focus on achieving goals.
• Conducts feasibility studies to verify capability and functionality.
• Directs support staff and coordinates project activities.
• Write and submit intellectual property (patents).
• Responsible: for compliance with applicable Corporate and Divisional Policies and procedures.
• MS in Engineering or related field with 8 years of significant product life cycle experience BS in Engineering or related field with 10 years of significant product life cycle experience
• Proven ability to innovate with a history of successful new or improved product releases.
• Listens and understands others’ points of view and articulates tactfully and respectfully one’s own perspective orally, in writing, and in presentations.
• Works well with other engineers in a collaborative, fast paced goal-driven environment.
• Proven knowledge of mechanical and Robotics/Mechatronics principles, practices and procedures.
• Technical background in healthcare, nutritional products, laboratory diagnostics, medical devices, or pharmaceutical companies
• Experience working in cross-functional matrix organizations.
• 15 years engineering experience in medical device products using optical and opto-mechanical technologies.
• Advanced degree preferred
• Experience in IVD industry preferred.
• Proven track record of bringing opto-mechanical and optical designs from concept to volume production, including optical, opto-mechanical modeling optimization, optical drawing generation, rapid prototyping, laboratory set-ups of prototypes, or verification testing on optical and opto-mechanical subsystems.
• Proven experience as a technical subject matter expert in resolving on market product opto-mechanical l issues
• Proven track record of working with external component manufactures to design, launch and improve vendor subsystems used in production
An Equal Opportunity Employer
Abbot welcomes and encourages diversity in our workforce.
We provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities.
To request accommodation, please call 224-667-4913 or email email@example.com